Greek Sandwich Filling
- Yield: 16 servings
- 4tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4pounds beef round steak, cut in 1/2-inch cubes, divided
- 2cups chopped onions
- 1/2teaspoon minced garlic
- 1cup dry red wine
- 1can (6 ounces) no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1teaspoon oregano
- 1teaspoon basil
- 1/2teaspoon rosemary
- dash black pepper
- 1tablespoon cornstarch
- 2tablespoons water
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet and then add one pound of meat and brown. Repeat with remaining oil and meat. Reserve drippings and transfer meat to slow cooker. Saute onion and garlic in drippings until tender. Add to meat. Add wine, tomato paste, oregano, basil, rosemary, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours. Turn cooker to high. Combine cornstarch and water in small bowl until smooth. Stir into meat mixture. Cook until bubbly and thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Tip: Serve in pita bread pockets, topped with shredded lettuce, tomato, cucumber and plain yogurt.
Recipes from 500 Heart-Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes by Dick Logue, Fair Winds Press, 2010.