Greek Sandwich Filling
- Yield 16 servings
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 pounds beef round steak, cut in 1/2-inch cubes, divided
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 can (6 ounces) no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- dash black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet and then add one pound of meat and brown. Repeat with remaining oil and meat. Reserve drippings and transfer meat to slow cooker. Saute onion and garlic in drippings until tender. Add to meat. Add wine, tomato paste, oregano, basil, rosemary, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours. Turn cooker to high. Combine cornstarch and water in small bowl until smooth. Stir into meat mixture. Cook until bubbly and thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Tip: Serve in pita bread pockets, topped with shredded lettuce, tomato, cucumber and plain yogurt.
Recipes from 500 Heart-Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes by Dick Logue, Fair Winds Press, 2010.