Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 8cups chicken broth
- 3/4cup orzo
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 eggs
- 1/3cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- Black pepper
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the orzo. Cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add the chicken. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Whisk th eggs in a bowl. Add the lemon juice gradually. Whisk in about 1/2 cup of the hot soup into the egg mixture.
- Reduce the heat to very low under the soup. Whisk the egg mixture slowly into the hot soup to thicken the soup slightly.
- Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with parsley.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Eugene, Oregon, Cooking from the Coast to the Cascades (Junior League of Eugene, Oregon, 2002).