Greek Green Beans
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 25 mins
Fresh green beans combine with tomatoes in this savory, summery side.
Serve warm or at room temperature. Crumble feta cheese on top if you like.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 large overripe tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped, or 1 pound ripe cherry tomatoes
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon olive oil
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook , stirring constantly, until soft and golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue cooking 1 minute. Add tomatoes and water. Cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Add green beans and another 1tablespoon of water. Add salt, pepper and sugar. Cover, recue heat to low, and simmer slowly until beans are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- A few minutes before beans are ready, uncover pan and turn up heat to reduce liquid. Stir in olive oil just before serving.
—Recipe adapted with permission from Caroline Betherton’s The Kitchen Garden Cookbook (DK Publishing, 2011)