Greek Egg and Lemon Soup
- Yield 8 servings
This creamy, tart, golden yellow soup is like slurping a bowl of warm sunshine.
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup white basmati rice or orzo
- 2 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 5 egg yolks
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 3 lemons
- Fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine the vegetable broth with rice or orzo and whole garlic cloves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until tender. Discard garlic cloves.
- In a mixing bowl, combine yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice and ground pepper. Whisk until well combined.
- When the orzo or rice is tender, dip out about 2 cups hot broth into a glass measuring cup. While you whisk the egg mixture, very slowly drizzle the 2 cups hot broth into the egg yolk mixture; if you add it too quickly you will scramble the egg yolks. This is what you want to avoid. Continue whisking and adding liquid to the egg yolks until the measuring cup is empty.
- Remove the saucepan with the orzo or rice from the burner and, once again, very slowly whisk the yolk mixture back into the saucepan combining well until thickened. Serve immediately.