Greek Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2cup peeled, seeded, and diced (1/2-inch) cucumber
- 1/4teaspoon kosher salt
- 1cup diced (1/2-inch) cooked chicken
- 1/2cup crubled feta cheese
- 1/4cup chopped kalamata olives
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2teaspoon dried basil
- -- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 4small pita breads or 2 regular-size ones
- Combine the cucumber and salt in a mesh sieve (AKA wire-mesh strainer) over a bowl or the sink and let sit for about 10 minutes. (Cucumbers are watery, so this step allows them to release some of their liquid. You can skip this step if you plan to eat the salad right away).
- Meanwhile, combine the chicken, feta cheese, and olives in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Press gently on the cucumbers to remove any excess water, and shake the seive. Then, pour the cucumbers into the bowl with the chicken mixture. Stir to combine. Pour the olive oil dressing over the mixture and stir well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let stand for a minute or 2 before serving.
- Cut the pita bread into two half-moons. Divide the chicken salad evenly among the halves. If using small pita breads, 2 halves is a serving. For regular-size pitas, one-half is a serving.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Liz Weiss and Janice Bissex’s No Whine with Dinner (Melrose, Mass.: M3 Press, 2011).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 280
- Fat 16g
- Saturated Fat 4.5
- Sodium 670mg
- Carbohydrate 18g
- Fiber 1g
- Protein 16g