Great Northerns with Leeks and Bacon
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 80 mins
Low in fat, and high in fiber and protein, plus lots of vitamins and minerals, make beans and legumes a nearly perfect food.
- 2cups dried Great Northern beans
- 4slices thick-sliced bacon, diced
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6cups thinly sliced leeks, white and tender green parts (2 bunches)
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place beans in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 1 hour. Drain beans and return to pot. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook until tender, but not mushy, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Drain beans, reserving some cooking water. Return beans to pan.
- Place bacon in a large skillet; cook over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove and set aside, leaving bacon drippings in pan. Add olive oil to skillet. Add leeks and garlic; saute 10 minutes. Add to beans. Crumble bacon and add to beans with salt and pepper. Add cooking water if beans seem dry. Serve hot.
Recipe by Nancy Krcek Allen.