Gratin-Style Roasted Tomatoes
- Yield 3 to 4 servings
A great recipe for your garden tomatoes.
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cups coarse fresh bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
- Arrange the tomatoes, slightly overlapping, in an oiled pie pan. (Do not use a glass pie plate.)
- Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with the basil and parsley.
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, sauteed garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Sprinkle over the tomatoes.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the crumbs are golden.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Saturday Club, Main Line Entertains (The Saturday Club, 2005)