Gratin of Summer Berries
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 5 mins
This is a wonderful dessert to make when fresh berries are at their peak.
The fruit is baked under an eggy custard sauce called a "sabayon."
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 pint raspberries
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400F. Coat a 1 1/2-quart gratin or baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine berries in a large bowl. Transfer to baking dish.
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar, orange juice and liqueur in a medium-size bowl that fits over a pot to make a double boiler. Place bowl over gently simmering water and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and whisk 1 minute. Pour over fruit and sprinkle with almonds. Bake 5 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Perfect Light Desserts by Nick Malgieri and David Joachim (Morrow, 2006).