Gratin of Greens
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 45 mins
A comforting and healthy, rice and greens casserole tailor-made to stick to your ribs.
- 2 pounds spinach, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds Swiss chard, chopped
- 2 pounds zucchini, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot cooked rice
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 -- eggs, well beaten
- 1/4 cup fine bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Wash and dry spinach. Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil. When hot, add spinach and cook just until wilted. Remove spinach from pan. Cook the chard in 1 tablespoon oil until just wilted. Remove from pan. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil; add zucchini and cook until just tender.
- Stir cooked vegetables together with salt, rice and garlic. Transfer to a well-oiled heavy baking dish. Bake 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and stir in eggs. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and cheese. Return to oven and cook about 15 minutes, until eggs are just set.
—Recipe adapted with permission of the James Beard Foundation, The Armchair Beard (1999).