- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 0 mins
Serve this refreshing dessert with blackberries and crisp cookies. If you've made the sorbet ahead, soften it for 5 minutes at room temperature before serving. Texas Rio Stars will make the best version.
- 2large red or pink grapefruits
- 1/3cup sugar
- 1/3cup honey
- 1/4cup water
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- Section grapefruit. Squeeze juice from membranes. Place grapefruit sections and juice in a large blender; blend until pureed, about 30 seconds.
- Bring sugar, honey and water to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves. Boil 1 minute without stirring. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Reduce speed to medium and beat in sugar mixture in a slow, steady stream. Continue beating 5 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl.
- Fold egg white mixture into puréed grapefruit. Chill at least 6 hours or overnight. The mixture may separate while chilling; whisk until smooth before freezing.
- Freeze in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Serve at once or freeze for up to 3 months.
Recipe by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough.