Grapefruit, Fennel and Radish Salad
- Yield 4 servings
A quick and impressive appetizer. Serve over a bed of greens if you wish.
- 1 small bulb fennel, trimmed and triangular core and thinly sliced top to bottom
- 6 radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 ruby red grapefruit, peeled and sectioned*
- 4 fresh basil leaves, minced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch kosher salt
- Toss all ingredients together in a nonreactive medium bowl and serve.
Note: To cut the grapefruit into sections, remove the skin and pith by cutting it away in strips from top to bottom with a sharp knife. Then holding the grapefruit in your hand, use a small paring knife to cut between the thin membrane walls of the sections and allow the small wedges of fruit to drop into a bowl.