Granny Smith Apple Sorbet
- Yield 4 servings
- 1 1/4 pounds Granny Smith apples
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 (2-inch) piece of cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, sliced
- Halve and core apples; cut into thin slices, leaving skin on. Toss with lemon juice and place in freezer overnight.
- Next day, make a simple syrup with sugar and water, bringing liquid to a boil. Add cinnamon stick and ginger. Simmer for 5 minutes. Pour over the apples and stir. Puree apple/syrup mixture in food processor until smooth.
- Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. Allow to soften slightly before serving. Makes about 1 quart.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Mark Rosenstein’s In Praise of Apples (Lark Books, 1996), courtesy of the U.S. Apple Association