Dried Cranberry Scones
- Yield 8-10 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 25 mins
Where does a chef go when he wants the perfect scone recipe? To Grandma's, of course.
Use the scone dough as a base to experiment with your own add-ins, such as pecans or dried currants.
- 3 cups bread or all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Finely grated rind of 1 orange
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, ½ cup sugar, baking powder, salt and orange zest, whisking to blend. With your fingers, blend butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cranberries and milk to flour mixture; stir just until dough comes together. Do not overmix.
- Divide dough in half and shape each into a ball. Pat each into a 6- inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Roll to approximately 1-inch thick. Cut each circle into 6 triangles and place on baking sheet 2 inches apart. Brush tops of scones with egg. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until firm to the touch and golden.
Recipe by Relish Chef Jon Ashton