Grandpa's New Orleans Spooners
- Yield: 100 - 120 pieces
- 2/3cup Sugar
- 4large eggs
- 1/3cup margarine (melted and cooled)
- 1/3cup Milk
- 3tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2large zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 - 1/2cups all purpose flour
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- Mix together all ingredients in order given, mixing well after each addition. Leave sit for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil for frying to 375 degrees.
- Use a spoon to “pinch” off some dough and drop pieces of dough into the hot oil. Do not over crowd, as you want them to cook properly and turn over easily. When the Spooners float to the top of the oil, turn them over and cook about 2 -3 minutes or until they are a beautiful golden brown.
- Transfer them from the oil to paper towel lined plate using a slotted spoon. Repeat until all are done.
- Dust with powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, or frost them and use sprinkles if desired.
- This is a fun and easy project to do with children.
- This dough can also be rolled out and cut into donuts and donut holes.