Grandmother Bunny's Baked Beans
- Yield: 12 servings
"My granddaughter, Morgan Haynes, and I were looking for the perfect bean recipe for our July 4 celebration. Morgan came up with this one, and we changed it to suit our tastes. It's delicious."
- 1/2 to 3/4pound bacon slices, cut in half
- 2 (28-ounce) cans baked beans
- 1/2cup ketchup
- 1/2cup cider vinegar
- 3/4cup pancake syrup
- 1tablespoon dry mustard
- 2cups diced apples, such as Gala or Jonathan
- Preheat the broiler. Arrange the bacon on a pan and broil 6 inches from the heat source for 6 minutes, or until partially done.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the baked beans, ketchup, cider vinegar, syrup, dry mustard, and apples in a large bowl; mix well.
- Pour the bean mixture into a greased 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish. Arrange the bacon slices on top.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour. Stir in the bacon before serving.
Recipe by Barbara Miller, New Bern, N.C.