Grandma’s Roast Beef
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 (2 3/4-pound) beef tenderloin
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4pounds small potatoes, cut into halves
- 6 carrots, sliced into rounds
- 4 shallots, peeled and halved
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 or 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 7tablespoons butter
- 1cup white wine or vegetable broth
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan that has a lid. Add potatoes, carrots, shallots and garlic cloves, and sauté over medium heat. Add thyme and bay leaf, cover, then cook, stirring regularly, 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat half the butter in a flameproof roasting pan. Add beef and brown on all sides over high heat. Transfer to oven and roast 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow beef to rest in its juices, covered with foil, 10 minutes. Don’t turn the oven off.
- Transfer roast onto a carving board.
- Deglaze roasting tin with white wine, scraping bottom of the pan well, then mix remaining butter into the juices to a smooth and creamy consistency. Add vegetables to the roasting tin, then return to the oven to cook 5 minutes, before serving with roast.
—Reprinted with permission from Rôtis by Stéphane Reynaud (Melville House, 2011).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 597
- Fat 40g
- Cholesterol 126mg
- Sodium 249mg
- Carbohydrate 21g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 34g