Grandma Gras’ Soup
- Yield 8 servings
"My grandma, Grace Weenum Gras of Borculo, Michigan, would make this soup for our family on Memorial Day. My dad, John Weenum, would march in the parade in his Navy uniform. I've never seen this soup or recipe anywhere else. It has a flavor all its own."
- 2 pounds carrots, cut into chunks (about 3 cups)
- 1 pound potatoes, cut into chunks (about 2 cups)
- 1 pound Kielbasa sausage, sliced
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Noodles (optional)
- Put carrots and potatoes in a blender, two-thirds full. Cover with water and blend until carrots and potatoes are in small pieces.
- Put in a large saucepan. Add Kielbasa, onions, celery, cabbage, salt, pepper, and noodles, if desired.
- Cook on low heat for at least 45 minutes.
Adelle J. Van Daalen, Zeeland, Mich.