Grain-Filled Bell Peppers
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 6 green onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3cup basmati or jasmine rice
- 1teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2cup amaranth
- 1/2cup quinoa
- 1/2cup millet
- 1 1/4cups grated Fontina (about 5 ounces)
- 6medium bell peppers (yellow, orange, green and/or red)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, and cook 3 minutes. Add rice and stir to coat with oil, 1 minute. Add salt, pepper, 2 cups chicken broth, water and tomato paste. Stir well to dissolve tomato paste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Add amaranth, quinoa and millet and stir. Simmer, covered, until grains are tender and liquid is absorbed, 15 minutes. Let cool. Stir in cheese.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Slice 1⁄4 inch off the top of each pepper; reserve tops. Using the tip of a paring knife, remove seeds and membranes from peppers, leaving shells intact.
- Fill peppers with grain mixture. Place in a baking dish close together. Place tops on peppers. Pour remaining chicken broth into bottom of dish. Cover loosely with foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until peppers are almost soft, 20 to 25 minutes.
Adapted with permission from Joanne Weir’s Cooking Confidence (Taunton Press, 2012).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 420
- Fat 15g
- Cholesterol 30mg
- Sodium 940mg
- Carbohydrate 56g
- Fiber 7g
- Protein 16g