- Yield: 4 servings
To make this dish an entree, serve it over cooked beans of choice. And, if you are an "almost vegetarian," you may add 1 pound of cooked, diced chicken or cooked shrimp that has been peeled and deveined. Leftover Grain-A-Roni is excellent served in hot broth with torn spinach leaves and minced scallions.
- 2cups water plus more for cooking wheat berries and linguine
- 1cup basmati or brown rice
- 1/4cup wheat berries
- 2ounces linguine or spaghetti
- 2teaspoons olive oil
- 1medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2stalks celery, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1large carrot, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2teaspoon dried thyme
- 1tablespoon low-sodium tamari
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F. Place 2 cups water in a saucepan and add rice. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook 40 minutes. Set aside.
- Fill another medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add the wheat berries being sure they are covered with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and let boil 1 hour. (Or these can be soaked overnight in water to cover and boiled over medium heat for 45 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place dried linguine in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place toasted linguine in a large pot of boiling water and boil 6 to 8 minutes or until tender. Drain and chop into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onions, celery, carrots and thyme. Add the cooked rice, wheat berries and linguine; saute 3 to 5 minutes or until heated through. Season with tamari and cayenne pepper.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 330
- Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 115
- Carbohydrate 64g
- Protein 9g