Graham Cracker Cake with Lemon Frosting
- Yield 16 servings
- 1 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 1 cup crushed graham cracker crumbs (6 whole sections)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup Crisco
- 1 1/4 cups milk, divided
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup Crisco
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through Crisco) in a mixing bowl. Add 3/4 cup milk. Beat thoroughly using an electric mixer, about 2 minutes. Add baking powder. Beat well. Add whole egg and egg yolks (saving egg whites for frosting). Add remaining milk and vanilla. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Pour into 2 deep 9-inch cake pans that have been greased with Crisco and lined with wax paper. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until cakes test clean. Let cool 5 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare frosting, beat Crisco, 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, lemon rind and egg whites with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add lemon juice alternately with remaining sugar. Blend until creamy. Fill and frost cakes
An added tip from my Mother: It isn’t a good idea to add anymore sugar and be careful not to add all the lemon juice at one time because you might get it too sour.
I hope you and yours enjoy it as much as my family especially my cousin by marriage would eat at least 3 slices at holiday meals.