Grady’s Plain Cake
- Yield servings
"I once worked with a lady whose mom would make this cake for us to take in our lunchboxes. Since it wasn't iced and is a moist, dense cake, it was a perfect cake to pack in a lunch. It is the only cake recipe that I have found that uses plain flour and no leavening agents."
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease and flour a tube pan.
- In a large bowl, slightly mix the eggs and with the oil. Combine the egg mixture with the allspice, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, and sugar. Mix well. The batter will be very thick. Spoon into the prepared pan. Bake for about 1 hour. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove the cake from the pan when cool.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: This plain cake is moist and a bit spongy with a sweet and slightly crunchy crust. It also would be good with a teaspoon of your favorite extract, such as vanilla or almond, added to the batter.
Recipe by Rita Flener, Cromwell, Ky.