- Yield 8 to 10 servings
This chili can be made ahead of time and is a tailgate favorite.
- 2 pounds ground round
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -- green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2/3 stick butter
- 1 -- (20-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 -- (16-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 3 -- garlic cloves, mashed
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon each oregano, salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 2 -- (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Brown the ground round in a skillet, stirring until crumbly; drain. Saute the onion, bell pepper and celery in butter in a skillet until tender. Add the beef, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, garlic, chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper and hot sauce; mix well. Simmer for 2 hours. Stir in the beans. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Newnan Junior Service League’s Simply Southern(Newnan, Georgia, 2008).