- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 2pounds ground round
- 1large onion, chopped
- 1-- green bell pepper, chopped
- 1cup chopped celery
- 2/3stick butter
- 1-- (20-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1-- (16-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1cup water
- 3-- garlic cloves, mashed
- 3tablespoons chili powder
- 1teaspoon each oregano, salt and pepper
- 1teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 2-- (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Brown the ground round in a skillet, stirring until crumbly; drain. Saute the onion, bell pepper and celery in butter in a skillet until tender. Add the beef, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, garlic, chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper and hot sauce; mix well. Simmer for 2 hours. Stir in the beans. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Newnan Junior Service League’s Simply Southern(Newnan, Georgia, 2008).