- Yield 5 servings
These whole-grain waffles are both sweet and savory.
Serve as breakfast or dinner with fruit and Canadian bacon or sausage, then pour on pure maple syrup or more applesauce.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 ounces Gouda cheese, shredded
- Combine flours, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and milk. Add applesauce and oil; stir to combine. Pour into dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Fold in cheese.
- Coat a preheated waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray. Pour about ¾ cup batter onto hot waffle iron. Close the waffle iron lid and cook until golden brown and cooked through. Makes 5 (7-inch) waffles.