Chicken Gorgonzola a l’Orange
- Yield servings
- 6 boneless skinless uncooked chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoons dried
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon style mustard
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup gorgonzola cheese
- 1 cup dried mission figlets
- 2 tablespoons fig jam or pie filling
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon light brown Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 9 slices of orange for garnish
Place chicken in a 1 gallon freezer zip lock plastic bag. Mix cayenne, thyme, vinegar, oil, mustard, sugar and salt in a small bowl and combine well. Pour into bag with chicken and seal. Marinate chilled for 1/2 hour.
Heat oven to 350 degrees F .Remove chicken and discard marinade. Slice a pocket across each chicken through center. Place even amounts of cheese into each pocket and place in a 9 x 12 shallow casserole dish. Bake for 30 minutes.
While chicken bakes chop figlets into small pieces. In a small stock pan heat figlet pieces, orange juice, pecans, sugar and clove. Simmer on low for 25 minutes. . Remove chicken from oven and cover with foil to rest until sauce is ready.
Remove foil and use a spatula to place each breast on a dinner plate. Spoon even amounts of orange fig sauce over each breast. For garnish cut each orange slice in half then place 3 on each plate and fan out.
Serves 6. Prep time is 40 minutes. Cooking time is 35 minutes
Serving suggestions. Serve with roasted sweet potatoes and peas.