Good Morning Oatmeal
- Yield 6 servings
"We eat this breakfast to help control our blood pressure, improve the health of our arteries and to lower cholesterol. But it is also very delicious."
- 1 1/2 cups apple juice
- 1/2 (6-ounce) package mixed dried fruit
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 firm ripe pear, cored and chopped
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups quick oats
- 2 (6-ounce) containers nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup granola
- Combine juice, dried fruit, sugar, if using, and cinnamon in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- Add pears; cook, covered, 10 minutes. Drain and discard liquid. Cool.
- Bring water and milk to a boil; add salt and oats. Reduce heat to medium; cook 1 minute; stir.
- To serve, top each serving of oatmeal with fruit mixture, yogurt and granola.
—Gwen Swanson, Pukwana, SD.