Good Morning Cheese Grits
- Yield 2 servings
Here’s a quick all-in-one hearty morning meal, starring the Southern staple grits, with a good boost of protein.
- 1/3 cup diced Canadian bacon or diced ham
- 1/2 cup quick grits
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup fat-free chicken broth or milk
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- In nonstick pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook Canadian bacon until begins to brown. Add grits, milk, and broth. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover, and continue cooking until grits are done, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, paprika, cayenne and green onions. Season to taste. Makes about 2 cups.