Good Morning Cheese Grits
- Yield 2 servings
Here’s a quick all-in-one hearty morning meal, starring the Southern staple grits, with a good boost of protein.
- 1/3 cup diced Canadian bacon or diced ham
- 1/2 cup quick grits
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup fat-free chicken broth or milk
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook Canadian bacon until brown in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add grits, milk, and broth and cook until boiling. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes until grits are tender.
- Combine with cheese, paprika, cayenne and green onions. Season to taste.