Good Luck Peas
- Yield: 6 servings
"This black-eyed pea dish is good anytime of the year, not just at a New Year's celebration."
- 1 (16-ounce) package dried black-eyed peas
- 3cups water
- 1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth or 2 tablespoons dry bouillon dissolved in 2 cups water
- 1package dry Italian dressing mix
- 1/2teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 to 4tablespoons canola or olive oil
- Soak the peas in 6 to 8 cups of water for 1 to 2 hours. Drain, rinse, and sort them. Place the peas in a large saucepan with 3 cups of water, the broth, dressing mix, red pepper, and oil. Bring to a boil, and reduce the heat, simmering with the lid tilted for 1 to 2 hours, until the peas are tender. If needed, add more water or broth. Serve over rice.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen:
This high-fiber dish is a healthful alternative to the traditional high-fat and high-salt versions. Serve with chow chow or pickled sweet peppers. Vary the amount of ground red pepper according to your own taste.