Golden Spiced Indian Rice Salad with Toasted Pecans
- Yield 8 servings
Bright and fragrant, this rice salad makes a beautiful centerpiece for a vegetarian dinner or an elegant potluck. For best results, serve it the day it is made.
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked basmati rice, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups Georgia pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- In a medium pot, heat water to boiling. Add rice and 1/2 teaspoon salt; reduce heat to a low simmer, cover and cook 15 minutes. Let rice stand covered 10 minutes, then spread on sheet pan to cool and prevent sticking.
- In large skillet over medium heat, toast pecan halves until lightly browned and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside. Add oil to skillet and heat. Add onion and ginger; cook 5 minutes. Stir in coriander, cumin, turmeric and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook 5 minutes longer.
- In large serving bowl, combine cool rice, onion mixture and pecans. Toss gently until well mixed and all rice is tinted yellow from the spices; add cilantro and sugar, mixing briefly. Set aside at least 20 minutes before serving at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of the Georgia Pecan Commission