Golden Chicken with Potatoes and Chickpeas
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
Two colorful and aromatic spices combine in this beautiful dish for tastes fit for a sultan.
Chickpeas and potatoes give substance to the tagine, which carries the meal.
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 20 -- strands saffron
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 2 -- onions, cut into quarters
- 4 -- medium potatoes, cut into wedges
- 4 to 6 -- skinless bone-in chicken pieces (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 -- (2-inch) piece cinnamon stick
- 1 -- (16-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a bowl, combine melted butter, saffron and turmeric. Set aside.
- In the bottom of a flameproof tagine, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and potatoes and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add spice mixture and chicken, meaty side down, sliding around and moving vegetables away from bottom so that flesh is in direct contact with bottom of tagine. Cook for about 5 minutes or until chicken is browned on meaty side.
- Using tongs, turn chicken over. Add broth and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil. Cover with tagine lid, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring once, for 25 minutes.
- Stir in chickpeas and parsley. Replace lid and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until chickpeas are heated through and chicken is longer pink inside for breasts and juices run clear for thighs. Discard cinnamon stick prior to serving.
—Excerpted from 150 Best Tagine Recipes by Pat Crocker © 2011 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.