Goat Cheese and Thyme Potato Cake
- Yield 6 servings
Goat cheese and thyme add great flavor to these potato cakes.
- 1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup grated goat cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 2 eggs
- Salt and freshly gournd black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Generously oil or butter a 9-inch square baking pan and line it with a 14-x8- piece of parchment paper so that the ends of the paper hang out over the ends of the pan. Rub the bottom of the paper in the pan’s oil or butter, then flip the paper over, greased side up.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil, add the potato slices, and cook until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 8 minutes. Drain them in a colander and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Whisk together the sour cream and butter in a large bowl until smooth. Whisk in the goat cheese and eggs. Add the potatoes, tossing gently, and then season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to the baking pan and use a spatula to smooth the top and spread the potatoes evenly. Sprinkle the top with thyme. Bake until the top is golden brown, about 35 minutes. Serve warm.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Seattle’s Celebrate the Rain (Junior League of Seattle, Wash., 2004).