Gnocchi with Broccoli, Bacon, Creme Fraiche, Chives and Smoked Cheddar
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 1/2pounds Idaho yellow potatoes
- 4tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2teaspoon salt, as needed
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- 1-- egg
- 3ounces flour
- 2cups broccoli
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
- 1/2-- sweet onion, sliced
- 1/2cup creme fraiche
- 3/4cup bacon lardons, crispy, with rendered fat
- 1cup smoked cheddar, grated
- 2tablespoons chives, chopped
- In a large pot of water, boil potatoes until tender. Drain, peel and transfer to preheated 350F oven until dry. Press through ricer. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add egg then flour and mix to incorporate.
- Roll dough in 1/2-inch diameter rope; cut and shape gnocchi.
- Blanch in simmering water until floating and firm; drain and cool completely. Reserve.
- Coat broccoli with olive oil, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and roast in preheated 400F oven for 5 minutes, until tender. Reserve.
- In a large ovenproof pan, sweat onions in remaining butter over medium-low heat. Add bacon, broccoli and gnocchi and saute until heated through. Add creme fraiche and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, top with cheddar and place under preheated boiler until cheese melts and browns. Plate, garnish with chives and serve.