Gluten-Free Vegan Brownie Bites
- Yield: 24 servings
Some the gluten-free mixes contain bean flour, and if you are new to baking with gluten-free flours, you may find the “beany” smell of the batter alarming. Don’t worry: the odor bakes out. It is very important to read the label on that gluten-free mix and check whether xanthan gum is one of the ingredients. If xanthan gum is not listed, add the optional quarter teaspoon of xanthan gum or guar gum to the recipe.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoon gluten-free all-purpose baking mix
- 1/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/4cup organic granulated sugar
- 3 1/2tablespoons organic whole cane sugar, finely ground in a blender
- 3/4teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4teaspoon xanthan or guar gum (if needed, see note)
- 1/4cup mild tasting extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4cup nondairy milk
- 1/4cup 2 oz jar of organic baby food plums or prunes
- 1teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4teaspoon chocolate extract (optional but recommended)
- 1/4cup mini gluten-free vegan chocolate chips
- 1-2tablespoon organic powdered sugar for garnish (optional)
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325F. Oil the cups of one 24-cup or two 12-cup mini muffin tins or use a non-stick cooking spray.
- Measure flour using the spoon and sweep method. Do not pack or shake the cup. Add to a wire mesh strainer set over a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the cocoa powder, granulated sugar, whole cane sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the strainer. If your mix does not include xanthan or guar gum, add the 1⁄4 teaspoon now. Stir with a whisk to sift into the bowl. (If any small bits remain in the strainer, add them to the mixture in the bowl.) Whisk to aerate the mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil, nondairy milk, prune purée, and vanilla and chocolate extracts until thoroughly combined. Immediately pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula until no traces of dry ingredients are visible. Expect the batter to be thick. Stir the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Fill each baking cup about two-thirds full.
- Bake for 12 to 13 minutes, or until the brownies have risen and feel set when lightly tapped. Do not over bake if your like your brownies fudgy.
- Set the pan on a wire rack. After 5 minutes, use a small offset spatula to lift each brownie onto the wire rack. (Warm brownies are soft, but should be easy to lift out from the tins.) Cool completely. For the best flavor, refrigerate the brownies for an hour.
Recipe from Vegan Chocolate: Unapologetically Luscious and Decadent Dairy-Free Desserts by Fran Costigan (Running Press, 2013)