Gluten-Free Spaghetti Squash “Pasta” Puttanesca
- Yield servings
This vegetable dish, disguised as a pasta, is a fresh and flavorful gluten-free take on an Italian classic.
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, each cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced, plus additional leaves for garnish
- 2 cans white or light tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- -- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Place squash in 9-inch glass pie plate and pierce six times with sharp knife. Microwave on High 5 to 6 minutes per pound, about 20 minutes total, or until squash is tender when pierced with knife. Cool 10 minutes for easier handling.
2. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, mix tomatoes, sliced basil, tuna, olives, capers, oil, vinegar, ¼ teaspoon salt, and teaspoon pepper until combined.
3 Cut squash lengthwise in half; remove and discard seeds. With fork, scrape flesh to separate into strands and place in large bowl; discard shell. Drain squash if necessary. Add remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and teaspoon pepper; toss to combine.
4. Divide squash among four dinner bowls. To serve, top with tomato mixture; garnish with basil leaves and Parmesan.
Reprinted with permission from Easy Gluten-Free from the Editors Good Housekeeping, Hearst Books.