Gluten-Free Penne Pasta Primavera
- Yield 4 servings
- 5 spears asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1-inch diagonal slices (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 pound snow peas, trimmed and halved diagonally (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups hot cooked gluten-free penne
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese or cheese alternative
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup red grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped onion, sauteed until tender
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Cook the asparagus and snow peas in a pot of boiling, salted water just until barely done, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and immerse in ice water to stop the cooking process and preserve the color. Transfer the vegetables to a large serving bowl, add the penne, and toss with the Parmesan.
- In a screw-top jar, combine the wine, vinegar, oil, garlic, onion powder, and pepper and shake vigorously until well blended. Pour over the penne and vegetables and toss to coat thoroughly. Add the tomatoes, onion, and parsley and toss to coat thoroughly. Let stand at room temperature so the flavors blend, about 30 minutes, and serve at room temperature.
This recipe was originally printed in 100 Best Gluten-Free Recipes by Carol Fenster; reprinted courtesy of Wiley Publishing.