- Yield 1 dozen
This is a tasty and light glueten-free dessert.
- -- Melted butter substitute for coating
- 5 -- free-range eggs
- 1/2 cup beet sugar
- 1/2 cup butter substitute, melted
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- -- Zest of 1 lemon or orange
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- -- Confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Coat the madeleine pans generously with melted butter. Beat the eggs in a bowl until light yellow in color. Add the sugar, 1/2 cup butter, the vanilla and lemon zest and mix well. Mix the flour, xanthan gum and baking powder together in a bowl. Add the egg mixture and mix well; do not overmix. Place about 1 tablespoon batter into each madeleine mold. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until light golden in color. Turn out and cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Nutrition Balance for Life’s Ready, Set, Eat! (Dallas, Texas, 2011).