Gluten-Free Macaroni and Cheese
- Yield servings
- 8 ounces gluten-free elbow macaroni 2 tablespoons unsalted butter 2 teaspoons potato starch 1 to 2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup milk (whole is best)
- 2 1/2 cups (about 10 ounces) shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Place the rack in the center of the oven. Grease a 1-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook the macaroni in a large pot of boiling water until ten- der. Drain the macaroni; do not rinse it with cold water.
- While the macaroni is boiling, melt the butter in a medium- sized, heavy saucepan over low heat. Mix the potato starch and dry mustard into the melted butter and cook slowly, stir- ring constantly for 1 minute (the mixture will be bubbly and won’t look like a traditional roux). Gradually stir in the milk. Increase the heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until the white sauce is smooth, thick, and reaches the boiling point.
Reprinted with permission from The Gluten-Free Good Health Cookbook by Annalise G. Roberts and Claudia Pillow, PhD, Agate Surrey, 2010.