Gluten-Free Layered Three-Bean Casserole
- Yield: servings
- 3-- poblano chiles
- 1cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4cup low fat milk
- 9-- gluten-free corn tortillas
- 2cups salsa verde
- 1can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1can refried beans
- 1can low-sodium pink beans
- 1/4small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2cup fresh cilantro leaves
1. Arrange oven rack 5 inches from heat source. Preheat broiler. In broiling pan lined with foil, arrange poblanos in single layer. Broil 10 to 15 minutes or until blackened all over, turning occasionally to evenly blacken. Wrap peppers in foil; let cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
2. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine sour cream and milk until well blended. In 9-inch square ceramic or glass baking dish, arrange 3 tortillas in single layer, tearing 1 tortilla in half to fit. Peel skin from peppers; discard. Remove and discard stems and seeds; thinly slice peppers.
3. Top tortillas in dish with one-third of salsa, one-third of sour cream mixture, all black beans, one-third of cheese, and one-third of sliced poblanos, in that order, spreading each in an even layer. Repeat layering two more times, with refried beans in center layer and pink beans on top. (Can be prepared to this point up to 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate.)
4. Place baking dish on jelly-roll pan to catch any drips; bake uncovered 40 to 55 minutes or until bubbly and top browns. Cool in dish on wire rack 10 minutes. Sprinkle with onion slices and cilantro sprigs to serve.
Reprinted with permission from Easy Gluten-Free from the Editors Good Housekeeping, Hearst Books.