Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Yield 8 servings
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound ground chicken (can use ground turkey or beef)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large iceberg lettuce leaves
- In a large wok or skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until the meat is cooked and no pink spots remain, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the cilantro, scallions, water chestnuts, fish sauce, soy sauce, and chili flakes and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Using the lettuce leaves as cups, fill each with a heaping spoonful of meat mixture. Serve with additional soy sauce.
This recipe originally appeared in The Gloriously Gluten-Free Cookbook; reprinted with permission from Wiley Publishing.