Gluten-Free Cocoa and Banana Muffins
- Yield 12 servings
The black sesame seeds add crunch to this gluten-free muffin.
- 1 cup millet flour
- 1/2 cup hazelnut meal
- 1/3 cup teff flour
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup quinoa flakes
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup blond cane sugar or granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup light Muscovado sugar or light brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 large bananas, mashed with a fork
- -- sprinkle of black sesame seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare 12 muffin cases; set aside.
2. In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients except the two sugars; set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the two sugars and eggs. Beat until light. Stir in the butter, buttermilk and vanilla extract. Add the mashed bananas.
4. Mix in the dry ingredients just until incorporated (don’t overmix).
5. Fill muffin papers and sprinkle with black sesame seeds. Bake the muffins for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out dry.
Reprinted with permission from Lake Austin Spa Resort.