Gluten-Free Chocolate-Peanut Butter Brownies
- Yield 16 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 35 mins
- -- Canola for greasing pan
- -- Sweet rice flour for dusting pan
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into large chunks
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/3 cup oat flour
- 1/3 cup sweet rice flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 -- eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup peanut butter, heated in microwave 30 seconds to soften
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan with oil. Dust with sweet rice flour.
- Set a large pot of water over medium heat and bring to a gentle boil. Place a metal bowl on top of it. Place butter and chocolate in metal bowl. Cook, stirring with a rubber spatula, until melted. Remove bowl from heat. Let cool to room temperature.
- Sift oat flour, sweet rice flour and xanthan gum together into a large bowl. Stir in baking powder and salt.
- Whisk sugar into chocolate mixture. Whisk in eggs and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients until mixture is just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Dollop peanut butter onto top of batter. Gently swirl peanut butter into batter with a spoon. Smooth top of batter. Bake 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the middle of the pan comes out clean. If batter remains on knife, continue baking in 3 minutes increments until done. Let cool completely before slicing into 16 squares. Serves 16.
Recipe adapted from Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef: A Love Story with 100 Tempting Recipes by Shauna James Ahern and Daniel Ahern (Wiley 2010).