- Yield servings
- 1/2 cup garbanzo-fava bean flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup arrowroot
- 1/4 cup evaporated cane juice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, plus more for the tins
- 1/3 cup homemade applesauce or store bought unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Lightly grease three 12-cup mini-muffin tins with oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, potato starch, arrowroot, evaporated cane juice, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt. Add the 1/2 cup oil and the applesauce, vanilla, and hot water and stir until the batter is smooth. Using a plastic spatula, gently fold in the chocolate chips just until they are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Using a melon baller, scoop the batter into each prepared mini-muffin cup. Bake the blondies on the center rack for 9 minutes, rotating the tins 180 degrees after 5 minutes. The finished blondies will be golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Let the blondies stand in the tins for 10 minutes. 5. To maintain freshness, leave the blondies in the muffin tins until ready to serve. Cover with plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Reprinted from BABYCAKES by ERIN MCKENNA. Copyright © 2009 by ERIN MCKENNA. Photographs copyright © 2009 by TARA DONNE. Published by Clarkson Potter, a division of Random House, Inc.