Gluten-Free Buttermilk Corncakes
- Yield 12 pieces
Stoneground cornmeal is key to these flavorful puffs. A fleck of black pepper gives them the right bite.
- 2 cups stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Blend dry ingredients together. (Sifting will remove some the wanted “grit” of the cornmeal.) In a separate bowl, whisk wet ingredients together. Pour into cornmeal and stir until combined. Batter will be thick. (If too thick, thin with a little more buttermilk.)
- Heat a skillet. Drop batter into small mounds, by the tablespoonful. Allow edges to brown before flipping. Makes 26 to 30 corncakes.
Note: To make bigger corncakes to use with Plum BBQ Sauce and shredded pork or chicken, use 1/4 cup batter for each corncake. Makes 12.