Gluten-Free Banana Bread with Sorghum Flour
- Yield 15 servings
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (about 3 small)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Carol's Sorghum Blend (*see below)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dark raisins
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- * Carol's Sorghum Blend:
- 1 1/2 cups sorghum flour
- 1 1/2 cups potato starch or cornstarch
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- Place a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350F. Generously grease 3 mini 5 x 3-inch nonstick (gray, not black) loaf pans.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Beat in the sugar until well blended, then add the banana, oil, and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the sorghum blend, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. With the mixer on low speed, gradually beat the flour mixture into the liquid ingredients until they are well blended and the batter thickens slightly. Stir in the raisins and chia seeds. Spread evenly in the prepared pan with a wet rubber spatula.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool the bread in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove the bread from the pans and cool completely on a wire rack. Slice with an electric or serrated knife.
This recipe was originally printed in 100 Best Gluten-Free Recipes by Carol Fenster; reprinted courtesy of Wiley Publishing.