Gluten-Free Ancient Grains Drop Biscuits
- Yield: 2 dozen
- 3/4cup Ancient Grains Flour Blend
- 3/4cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4cup King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour or brown rice flour blend*
- 1teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup butter
- 3/4cup buttermilk
- 1/4cup maple syrup, real maple syrup preferred for best flavor
- 1large egg
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients, then use a fork, pastry blender, or electric mixer to work in the butter, mixing until everything is crumbly with some pea-sized pieces of butter remaining.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients and stir into dry ingredients until just combined. The dough will be very wet.
- Drop golf-ball sized portions onto the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. A tablespoon cookie scoop, generously filled, is helpful for this.
- Bake the biscuits for 12 to 14 minutes, until they're light golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and serve warm.
*Make your own blend: Many of our gluten-free recipes use our King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour, which includes ingredients that reduce the grittiness sometimes found in gluten-free baked goods. Our flour also increases the shelf life of your treats, keeping them fresh longer.