Gluten-Free Allspice Gingerbread
- Yield 3 dozen
If you are trying to stay away from gluten, then you will love this gingerbread recipe.
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour mix*
- 1 cup almond meal or almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum powder** (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2/3 cup natural, unsulfured molasses
- 1 large egg
- -- Colored sugar, for decorating
- In medium bowl, combine flour mix, almond meal, xanthan, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, pepper and salt; set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add molasses and egg; blend well. Add dry ingredients in three batches, blending just until fully incorporated. Dough will be stiff. Divide dough into two balls, flatten into discs, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 3 hours or up to 3 days.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Remove one dough disc from refrigerator and roll out between two pieces of parchment paper or on lightly gluten-free floured work surface to 1/8-inch thick. Cut into desired shapes and place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle cutouts with colored sugar, if desired.
- Bake 9 to 13 minutes, until edges of cookies are crisp. Cool cookies on sheet 2 to 3 minutes. Remove cookies to wire rack to cool completely. Store in airtight container for up to 1 week.