Glogg (Spiced Wine)
- Yield 8 servings
The perfect late evening warm-up for a cold, holiday winter evening.
Use a deep, fruity red wine such as a syrah or merlot, and for the port, opt for a ruby.
- 3 1/2 cups red wine
- 1 3/4 cups port
- 1 cup sugar
- Peel from 2 oranges
- 2 cinnamon stick
- 10 fresh cardamom pods, cracked slightly
- 1 cup brandy, aquavit, vodka or cognac
- 8 tablespoons raisins
- 8 tablespoons slivered or whole blanched almonds
- Warm wine and port with sugar in a pot over medium heat. Tie orange peel and spices in a cheesecloth bag and add to wine. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Add brandy and simmer 5 minutes longer. Remove spices.
- Place 1 tablespoon each of raisins and almonds in mugs and add hot wine.
Recipe by Brett Jocelyn Epstein.