Glogg (Spiced Wine)
- Yield: 8 servings
Use a deep, fruity red wine such as a syrah or merlot, and for the port, opt for a ruby.
- 3 1/2cups red wine
- 1 3/4cups port
- 1cup sugar
- Peel from 2 oranges
- 2 cinnamon stick
- 10 fresh cardamom pods, cracked slightly
- 1cup brandy, aquavit, vodka or cognac
- 8tablespoons raisins
- 8tablespoons slivered or whole blanched almonds
- Warm wine and port with sugar in a pot over medium heat. Tie orange peel and spices in a cheesecloth bag and add to wine. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Add brandy and simmer 5 minutes longer. Remove spices.
- Place 1 tablespoon each of raisins and almonds in mugs and add hot wine.
Recipe by Brett Jocelyn Epstein.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 340
- Fat 5g
- Sodium 5mg
- Carbohydrate 32g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 2g