Globe Zucchini Stuffed with Millet and Vegetables
- Yield: servings
- 2tablespoons olive oil and more for dish and to drizzle
- 8small globe zucchini
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1/4 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 thyme twigs
- 2cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 1/2 orange pepper, finely diced
- 2 vine or Heirloom tomatoes, blanched, peeled, cored, seeded and finely diced
- 1 1/2cups cooked millet
- 2ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 2ounces grated Parmesan or Manchego cheese
- 2tablespoons mixed chopped basil, coriander and parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375F and oil a large baking dish; set aside.
- Cut a small top for each zucchini. Using a melon spoon, scoop out the flesh making sure not to puncture the outer skin; season with salt and pepper and set aside. Set aside 1 packed cup of the zucchini flesh, finely chopped. Place the seasoned zucchini shells in the baking dish.
- In a saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. When warm, add the onion, ground coriander and thyme. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes and add the garlic. Continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add the pepper and cook for 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and reserved zucchini. Stir and season with salt and pepper. Cook on low heat, uncovered, for 7 minutes, stirring once in a while. Stop the heat and discard the thyme twigs.
- Stir in the cooked millet, cheeses and fresh herbs.
- Stuff the zucchini with millet mixture. Top each zucchini with its respective “hat.” Drizzle each generously with olive oil and add a 1/4 cup or so of water at the bottom of the baking dish. Bake the zucchini for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the outer skin of zucchini is tender. Serve with a side green salad.
– Recipe by Beatrice Peltre, La Tartine Gourmande