Global Eggplant Spread
- Yield 4 servings
Try with eggplant spread on pita break or over pasta, couscous or rice. A little crumbled feta on top adds another flavor.
- 1 large or 2 medium eggplants
- -- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 -- roasted red peppers from a can, drained and chopped
- 1 -- clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup minced parsley
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1/2 -- jalapeno pepper, minced
- -- Juice of 1 lemon
- If cooking eggplant in oven, preheat to 400F. If using grill, preheat to medium hot.
- Cut eggplant(s) in half lengthwise and sprinkle with kosher salt. Allow to sit on a plate or in a colander 20 minutes. Rinse with cold water and pat dry. Place unpeeled eggplant halves on grill or in roasting pan in oven 35 minutes until tender when pierced with a knife. Cool eggplant halves 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the olive oil, peppers, garlic, red onions, parsley, cilantro, jalapeno and lemon juice in a large nonreactive mixing bowl. Scoop the cooked eggplant from its skin into the bowl; discard skin. Mix with a fork or wire whisk until well combined. Season with salt. Serve at room temperature or chilled.