Glazed Shrimp with Quinoa and Curried Tomatoes
- Yield 8 servings
Daniel Lindley of St. John’s Restaurant in Chattanooga, Tenn., uses fresh cherry tomatoes seasoned with curry as a contrast to the hot sweet shrimp and toasted quinoa.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled
- 2 tablespoons red currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons chopped, seeded jalapeno peppers
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Toast quinoa in 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat about 5 minutes. Add water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer and cook 30 until tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat, stir and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add shrimp and sauté 3 minutes. Add jelly, peppers and bourbon.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add tomatoes, curry powder, water and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook 10 minutes, or until tomatoes break down slightly. Stir in butter and lemon juice
- To serve, place a mound of quinoa on plate, top with shrimp and curried tomatoes.