Glazed Shrimp with Quinoa and Curried Tomatoes
- Yield 8 servings
Daniel Lindley of St. John’s Restaurant in Chattanooga, Tenn., uses fresh cherry tomatoes seasoned with curry as a contrast to the hot sweet shrimp and toasted quinoa.
September 2012 print / July 2013 Tablet
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled
- 2 tablespoons red currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons chopped, seeded jalapeno peppers
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add quinoa and toast quinoa about 5 minutes. Add water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer and cook until tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat, stir and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and sauté 3 minutes. Add jelly, jalapeno and bourbon.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in another large skillet over medium heat. Add tomatoes, curry powder, water and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook 10 minutes, or until tomatoes break down slightly. Stir in butter and lemon juice
- To serve, place a mound of quinoa on plate, top with shrimp and curried tomatoes.