Glazed Orange Coconut Cake
- Yield 20 servings
This orange-infused cake comes all the way to us from a little Micronesian island called Kosrae.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup finely shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup fresh orange juice (4 to 5 oranges)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- Orange glaze and garnish:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice (1 orange)
- Toasted coconut chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a Bundt pan.
- Combine flour and next five ingredients (flour through salt).
- In a separate bowl, combine coconut milk, oil, eggs, vanilla, and orange juice and rind. Pour into dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Pour into prepare pan.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before removing from pan.
- To prepare glaze, whisk together powdered sugar and orange juice. If there are little lumps, let glaze sit 30 minutes, until they dissolve. Pour glaze over completely cooled cake. Sprinkle coconut chips on top, if using.
Recipe courtesy of Global Table Adventure.